Monday, August 29, 2016

Caveat Emptor.

The other day my wife was having a friend out to the farm for coffee.  Looked like a good time for me to drive into town.

While in town I decided to stop by the local Verizon store to find out about their new plans and see if it would save us money.  The new plans are their attempt to be competitive - attempt being the operative word.  Our biggest expense is the GB’s required for our mifi.  The new Verizon plans are still based on GB’s and would be no cost savings.

I also commented about the poor signal we get at the farm on our mifi.  We are only about 6 miles from a tower and get only one or two bars.  That was the cue for the sales guy to tell me the new mifi has a better antenna and my signal should be stronger.  And… guess what… there is a $50 rebate!  Pay $100 for a just released mifi and get a $50 rebate.  Such a deal.  Well, maybe not.  It wasn’t until I got home and looked over the 5 pages of paperwork I noticed the associated fees.  What was suppose to be a simple upgrade wasn’t. 



I was automatically signed up for the maintenance plan - $9./month.  Now why would I need that when I have a perfectly good one that I was replacing with the new one?  If the new one craps out I’d just go back to the other one.

I was charged $20 for “set up and go.”  All the guy did was put in the battery to make sure it worked.

I was charged $40 for “upgrade fee.”  Seriously?  I’m a current long time customer and you are whacking me to simply change the mifi with a computer keystroke?

To top it off, the signal is no better.  There is a return policy, however there is a “restocking” fee. No doubt $100.

Caveat Emptor.

Just one day more…



15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Should have asked more questions. Or maybe they should have mentioned the added fees. The added fees took all of the rebate.

      Delete
  2. Did they at least kiss you first? I've learned to ask the sales rep to put to paper for me ALL the expenses I will be charged, or as I call it, "bottom line, tax, title and license." But I'm sure if push came to shove they'd have some comeback double talk to screw me with. Bastards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did put in on paper - 5 pages - and printed it just before sending me out the door. Lesson learned.

      Delete
    2. I mean I get it in writing BEFORE I agree to anything. And I do this now because I got ripped once, too.

      Delete
    3. I should have asked what are the hidden fees.

      Delete
  3. Phone them, talk to a supervisor and refuse to pay all or at least most of the stupid extra charges. If they want to keep your business they will rebate you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes that's a torture test in itself.

      Delete
  4. You might have ventured into a Verizon "Retail center". I found them to be more interested in maximizing income over customer retention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Highway robber, isn't it? Only thing worse is television service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad we have to come to expect this of these companies.

      Delete
  6. Being a rural internet user myself, I was curious how much you pay per month for your service. I use Exede Satellite but my phone is with Verizon. I pay $80 per month for 15Gb and a speed of 12-15Mbps most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. $130/mo. for 30 GB. We generally use it all and sometimes wish we had unlimited. You would think for that price we would get unlimited. We have two phones which also run off that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks. I guess it's expensive no matter what we use in rural areas.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome.